Friday 21 January 2011

Progress....

Well, a little bit of progress today. I did 'the world' essentially to my satisfaction last night, but came up with another 'great idea' late last night...so of course, I had to get up at 5:30 am and get to work on it! I seem to do my best work when it is dark outside, so it is probably just as well that I work nights!

A '0.9' version of the setting is now in the works, but I have drawn the third (and final) draft of the setting map, and this one I am satisfied with. Now to complete the remainder of the preparations. Running the setting as a campaign comes first; this will allow me to define the parameters of the setting. The plot is essentially 'ticking over' at the back of my mind at the moment, and my current plan is to spend the next two days fleshing out the setting a bit, and then the next week or so firming out the outline of the plot. After that, I can start to work!

As to when I will run the campaign, that's largely in the lap of the gods at the moment, probably a couple of months from now. I'd like to start the novel first, and then use the game to explore other areas of the setting outside of the narrow confines of a focused plot; though I am expecting that the campaign will provide more than a few interesting scenes and characters that can transfer directly to the books. I'm also almost at the point of deciding to focus on this for the first couple of books at least, and get started on a 'fantasy series'.

The plot? Well, obviously at the moment I can't go further than a short outline, largely because I haven't written anything more than a short outline! I do know that I want it to be informed by my experience within the fantasy genre, and these have largely been game-related in the past, so a lot of this is going to play in.

The focus is on a forgotten tomb, the...er... “Tomb of the Forgotten”, where legend has it a magnificent treasure can be found. Our heroes will almost by accident stumble upon the location of the tomb, and organise an expedition to explore it, and find the ancient treasures that lie within. Of course there is a hell of a lot more too it than that – I've left out the evil cult, the romantic subplot, and other elements, but that is essentially the core concept.

I may have something else in the works as well. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment